Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Peace in Our Hearts

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Yesterday our family lost a loved one. We are all grieving and are thankful for the out-pour of support from friends, family, and friends of friends who are thinking of us and keeping us in their thoughts and prayers. I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you for thinking of us. 
I'm writing this in part of my own grieving process. 
My heart hurts. Mostly for my sister and best friend, who lost her first love. And for my nephew, who lost his father. Andre was a good man and a great father. He was always smiling. ALWAYS. Very much a glass half full kind of guy who was always reminding us of the better things and to not worry so much. Andre always talked about creating a better life for himself and for his son. He wanted Kaiden to have a better upbringing than he did and wanted nothing but good things for him. 
Kaiden is 6. He is a very smart boy. When he heard the news, he understood. He understood what it means to be in heaven. His response to the news was "Awe, i'm never going to see him again." He sobbed. He said "But I think he's going to come back for me."
Kaiden asked his mom "How am i going to remember my dad?"
He's young, so he is easily distracted. But when he gets a minute to himself and remembers, God it breaks your heart. He asked my mom "How come I can talk to my dad, but he can't talk to me?" When my mom asked him if he wanted to say something to his dad he said, "I already did in the bathroom at my house." He told his dad that he loved him and missed him and wanted him to come back. 
My sister lost her first love. She lost him. He's never coming back. She will never see that familiar goofy grin with all those shiny white teeth again. My heart hurts so bad for her. I can't even try to put myself in her shoes and try to imagine how I would handle any of this. She is the strongest woman I know and I love her so much.
Andre was a part of our family. He was close with many of us and his death has crippled many of us.  
If I have learned anything from this, its that life is indeed too short. Andre died on his 25th birthday. We all need to remember to cherish the relationships with our loved ones. I personally will be making efforts in making those relationships better and expressing more love and closeness. 

Andre was killed in a car accident. He wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle. Who knows if he'd still be with us had he been wearing his seat belt. I'd like to think so. I hope everyone who reads this will think about what is happening to our family now. Every time you get in your car, I hope you think about the loss and suffering we're drowning in... and I hope you buckle. 


Rest in Peace Andre, we will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment