This is when I thank my lucky stars for being such an organized person!
This is my garage. Thats A LOT of boxes. I started packing little by little two months ago.

These are my lists. Lists of things to be left out of packing. Things to be done. Lists of cleaning and move out procedures. These lists have saved me. As well as starting early on the packing. We leave for Mississippi in 12 days and I cannot imagine how the next two weeks would go if I hadn't done it this way. Not to mention 3 of those days will be in Columiba, MO celebrating Addy's 2nd birthday!
We are getting down to the nitty gritty though and realizing that we can't just pack a box here and there and call it a day. We actually have to do real work and stuff! ;(
Living in a military installations adds to the stress and chaos.
Half of our list of things to do is meet the "move out" standards for the housing office.
Inside has to be SO VERY CLEAN. The outside is just the same. We even have to weed our front flower beds and wash out the trash and recycle barrels... who does that?
We are living in a pretty bare house right now. I've gone through all the clothes and whatever isn't going to Mississippi is already packed away. Because i refuse to do laundry up to the day we leave. Pretty much the only things in our house are the crucial items. Anything thats going on the trip with us and the essentials in the living room and kitchen.
We decided to gathering everything to the storage unit 2 days before we leave. That way, the very last day we can spend the day with the kids at the park or the mall or wherever they want to go. This whole move is going to be a stress for them too and we don't want to have to do anything work related on that last day.
We also decided today that Gretchen and Beast will be coming with us to Mississippi. Mostly because we couldn't find anyone to care for them for us. ;-/ Which is okay. That just means we have to stay in a 1 bedroom TLF at Keesler instead of a 2 bedroom. They don't have any 2 bedroom pet friendly TLF's available during the timeframe that we need. It also means that we need to pack even lighter in the van to make room for Gretchen largeness.
Since our trip is being paid for by the AF and we have 5 days to get down to MS, we decided to make it a mini-vacation for the kids. We'll leave here and stop in Memphis and spend the night in a hotel and wake up the next morning and go to the Memphis Zoo. When the kids are good and tired we'll get back in the car and drive to Jackson, MS and stay in a hotel. We'll find something fun to do in Jackson and then head the rest of the way to Biloxi that evening. Breaking out trip up like this is the only way. Jackson is a horrible car rider. Actually, come to think of it, so is Addy. Rowen is the only one who tolerates long car rides well. I guess all that traveling when he was younger is finally paying off. ;)
I've been brainstorming some ideas to make the car ride easier. I made a flat surface that velcros on and off of their pillows so they can lay them on their lap and color, draw, eat... etc. I've been on the lookout for little pocket caddies that hang over the back of the seats to hold their crayons and toys and stuff. I lucked out and found two at the airmans attic the other day. Love that place. Chris and I are also thinking about getting some over the seat dvd players. Maybe. Haven't yet decided on that one yet.
We plan on packing a cooler with snacks, drinks, and of course Jacks goats milk. NO FAST FOOD. Addy doesn't do well with fast food and motion sickness. I've cleaned up puke out of her car seat more times than necessary.
I just vacuumed and shampooed the van. I know i'm crazy but i really hope it stays clean by the time we get to Mississippi. ;-/
We recently parted ways with our friends the Spitzenbergers. They have been with us since we lived in Mississippi in 2011. They are headed to Fairchild, Washington and we already miss them so much!
Most of the toys and fun stuff to keep them occupied are packed away in boxes. So the only thing left for them to do is wrestle. Addy usually wins out by farting on Rowen. ;)
Here are some randoms of the kiddos. We gave Rowen a mohawk.
And no, Addy is not trying to eat Beast. That's an open mouth kiss ;)
















I am stressed out for you friend! But I know you'll kick ass and handle it all like a bad ass!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the move and everything! Sounds like you will have a lot of fun with the Kiddos!
Oh! And we stayed in the 1bd. TLF and it was still roomy! The couch had a pull out. So there's an extra bed. Oh and we took the stupid plastic cover off our bed because it was SO uncoomfortable.