Monday, July 16, 2012

Homemade cloth diapers? YES!

Over the weekend I realized that the huge box of diapers (180 exactly) that Chris's mom sent for Addison's birthday was nearly gone. That was roughly 3 weeks ago. 180 diapers in 3 weeks??? HOLY BEJESUS. Granted, she had the whole diarrhea/virus thing going on so she was going through more than usual... but still. 
So I got onto my favorite websites of all time to help me to make my own cloth diapers. Pinterest and Youtube of course.;) 
There are all kinds of tutorials and information on what material, size, notions, blah blah blah. I'm pretty well educated on cloth diapering now. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to put into cloth diapering. So I was on a mission to find the cheapest materials that are still effective at keeping leaks out. 
Over the last 24 hours I have made 3 cloth diapers.
My first diaper was made out of a torn hand towel and a pair of fleece pajama pants that were in my Goodwill pile in the closet. 
Since I was completely free handing my pattern and everything, I didn't want to use any of my good fabrics. Ya know... In case I screwed up. ;)


It turned out to be pretty stinking cute. However, it was newborn sized. Definitely not going to fit my 1 year old. I will be receiving a newborn from the flying stork here in about 6 weeks... but the colors don't exactly suit him well. ;) This one will be gifted to my sister, who is expecting a girl in October ;)


My second diaper was just as cute. This one was made of terry cloth and cotton fabric. The crotch area is quite bulky from sewing in a pad of about 5 layers of terry cloth. The diaper would have been effective if i had made my tab's a bit longer. If she had attempted to bend over, those suckers would have popped right off. 
                                                


Then I attempted another diaper. One with longer tabs. Unfortunately, they are a tad bit too long. But it's still fully functional. I opted to just sew the print fabric to the terry cloth and leave the 5 layer pad out. No one likes a bulky bum.


                                                 
                                                     It's pretty stinking cute.


See how the tabs are kind of overlapping and sticking out? I just need to make them a wee bit smaller.

 I'm planning on buying a supply of the microfiber inserts online here soon. Until then, I'm just using a folded up washcloth and it seems to be working. 


<3


Here are a couple randoms.


Also a first- I clipped Beasts claws. I wrapped him in a towel thinking it was going to be a nightmare. He really just did not give a damn. He just laid there all limp and purring while I trimmed every claw. 
Here he is mushing on Rowen, pain free.


This one cracks me up. We just got done grocery shopping  and she fell asleep in the car on the way home. I brought her in all limp in my arms and set her on the floor hoping she would wake up because it was still way to early for bedtime. I went back outside to grab groceries and this is how I found her. ;)


As I'm typing this, at the kitchen table... I see that my four year old is a messy eater and i'm thinking of making place mats. ;) 















No comments:

Post a Comment